August 2011
Home Back

Volume 23 Number 3

          August 2011

What's in this Issue

(Click on link to read article - Press `Home` key to return to here)



President's Report


Since the last newsletter the Association has been kept busy.  Many ex members attended the annual Regimental Dinner held at the combined area Officer’s Mess at Enoggera.  The Association was well represented.  Pictures from the dinner are displayed further in this newsletter.

At the dinner I was very pleased to accept a copy of a video from Neil Heather.  It was a copy of a film about the Regiment made on 26 September 1992.  On that day the Regiment conducted a celebration to mark the 60th Anniversary of QUR.  The parade consisted of a “Beating of the Retreat” (including the firing of rifle volleys) and a concert performance by the QUR Band augmented by members from other Army bands.  The then Governor of the State of Queensland reviewed the parade.  Following the Beating the Retreat the band conducted a musical performance.  The band performed many pieces of jazz, songs from Les Miserables, Australian sing-a-long, Big Band era and some popular songs.  The highlight of this performance was a performance of the 1812 Overture complete with cannon (artillery) and a fireworks display.  The artillery fire silhouetted in the night sky with the fireworks was impressive.  I have been able to copy the VHS to DVD and will make copies available to any members for a nominal cost to cover administration.  It was indeed a unique occasion to see the large massed Army bands when the QUR Band was strong in numbers.  The copy does suffer a little from age but has been preserved onto DVD well

In each newsletter I appeal to members to assist us with the recording of the history of QUR by allowing us to borrow records relating to their time in the Regiment.  The above example from Neil in locating the film of the Anniversary parade in 1992 was indeed a great acquisition for our historical collection.  Thanks to Neil.  I do not care what may be available from members.  Please, if you find any documents, items, photos……….  ANYTHING relating to QUR please allow us to borrow them so that we may increase our collection.  The floods at the start of this year made us determined to work even harder after the Regiment lost all records in the floods of 1972.  Fortunately our current collection was in safe hands is being converted to electronic format, off site from the depot.

During the last Australian Honours announcement on the 13 June 2011 Brigadier Peter Jeffrey was honoured with the award of the Member Order of Australia (AM).  "Brigadier Peter Robin Jeffrey CSC RFD, Qld: For exceptional service as Assistant Commander, Training Command Army, and as Commander of the 11th Brigade." Congratulations to Peter.

At the Regimental Dinner Bruce Maughan showed me a set of cufflinks produced by the University of Queensland.  Since then the Association has arranged for a set of QURA cufflinks to be available for purchase.  The cufflinks show the gold Regimental Badge on a black background.  They are enclosed in a black presentation box.  They will be on sale at the Annual General Meeting for the cost of $20 per set.  Of course all of the members who attend the AGM are given a warning order to have at least $20 in their pocket so they can acquire a piece of Regimental history.  They will be subsequently available for purchase through the arrangements on our website - See the For Sale page for a sample.  You could use them as Christmas presents.  Maybe even purchase a tie, lapel badge or a written record of the History of QUR at the same time.

As usual the Annual General Meeting of the Association and Dinner will be held at the United Service Club on the 9th September 2011.  All past members of the regiment (all ranks are invited) are very welcome to join the occasion.  The dinner is a very informal occasion where members can enjoy good food and wine in a relaxed atmosphere.  Of course there must be some administrative discussion, required for the AGM, but this is kept to a minimum.  In line with this there must be an election for office bearers for the next year.  Should any ex member of QUR wish to nominate for any position on the executive management committee, I would be pleased to arrange the required paperwork to get them elected.  As an after dinner speaker, we will be honoured by Brian Smith who has agreed to present some thoughts from his military experience, especially his service with the French Foreign Legion.  I am sure all members attending will be fascinated with his words and pictures.  Members are asked to refer to the enclosed details, listed further in this newsletter, and to reply to Peter Morton with their acceptance to attend.  I ask you to encourage as many ex members of the Regimental family to attend.  It is a good night.  Each year new old faces attend and it is a delight to catch up with them.

The last function for the year will be the Christmas function which will be conducted at the Victory Hotel.  The Association funds some light finger food and drinks are at member’s expense.  It will be held on Thursday 8 December starting at 1730 hours.  We have chosen a Thursday again as there is lesser noise and people, than on a Friday evening.  It is a great chance to catch up with ex members with whom you served.  Come straight from work and stay as long as you wish.

It has again been a busy year.  The Association continues to support the Regiment each year and keeps working on the preservation of the history.  Members continue to surprise me with items of historical interest to add to our collection.

I would like to thank all the members of the executive management committee for their dedication and support in the past year.  I also wish to thank all the ex-members of the Regiment who take an interest in the unit through the activities of the Association.

I wish you all continued good health and look forward to again joining with you at the Annual General Meeting and Dinner in September.



CO's Report August 2011


It is hard to believe that we are already well into the month of August.  For the Regiment, the year is passing very quickly which I guess is symptomatic of maintaining a very high level of activity.


I am very happy to report that the Regiment has now settled well back into its battle rhythm after a very disrupted start to the year.  New staff have bedded in well, and our overall routine within our new/temporary home is now well established.  In this regard, the high training tempo has served as a uniting influence, with people working hard together to get the job done, and in doing so, building the new teams and corporate knowledge necessary for delivering our range of training responsibilities. 


So far this year, the Regiment has delivered the following training:

  • Five Officer Grade 3 / Grade 2 courses;

  • Three driver courses;

  • Two Combined Arms courses;

  • Two Infantry IET courses;

  • Two Reserve Response Force course;

  • One Cert IV Trainer / Assessor course; and

  • Preparation of Officer Cadets for attendance at 10 various training blocks.


At the moment we are enjoying a brief (three week) respite before we launch into the next busy season which will see the Unit delivering courses, virtually without a break, from 3 September through to 11 December.  No doubt the second half of the year will pass as quickly as the first.


While all members of the Unit are working hard towards the Regiment’s collective goals, it is important to recognize some of the individual successes and achievements of members of the Regiment this year.  These include:

  • Six members of QUR have been awarded ‘Student of Merit’ on various national career/promotion courses ranging from TB1 through to Grade 3 HRR.

  • Three members returning home from East Timor after completing their eight month tour as part of 11 Brigade’s Timor Leste Task Group 2 deployment.  Along with the rest of 11 BDE’s contingent, these members form part of the new generation of Reservists for whom operational deployments are no longer a rarity.

  • The mid-year graduation of four of QUR’s Officer Cadets, to become Army’s newest officers.  Along with the Honorary Colonel, it was again a privilege to attend the ceremony at RMC Duntroon on 30 July and to see the Cadets enjoy the fruit of several years of dedicated training.


Finally, it is with great (albeit delayed) pleasure that I can announce that, as this newsletter goes to press, the work on the re-build of our St Lucia home is commencing.  The depot will remain off limits while the work is performed, but it is hoped that it will be completed in time for the Regiment to have its final parade of the year back at its ancestral home, in mid December.  It will be good to get home.


I look forward to catching up with many members of the QURA at the AGM in a few weeks.


Scientia ac Labore

Tim O'Brien
Lieutenant Colonel
Commanding Officer
Queensland University Regiment




2011 QUR Officers Mess Dinner


Due to the Brisbane floods inundating the Walcott St. depot earlier this year, the Annual QUR Officers Mess Dinner was held at Gallipoli Barracks, Enoggera.   Once again the function was enjoyed by current and former officers of QUR together with friends of the Regiment.  Notable amongst the  guests where the Chancellor of Universtity of Queensland Mr John Story ( a former member of QUR in the sixties) and Vice Chancellor Prof Zimmer.






The following photos were taken by our resident photographer  Trevor Luttrell

From left, Brad Shillig, George Fryberg, Peter Morton and Neil Heather catching up over a pre-dinner drink.
Rob Byrne chatting with Terry Gygar about Terry's latest foray to China.
John Byrne (left)  talking to Denis Luttrell before the 2011 QUR Officers Mess Dinner.
Garry Collins (left) with John Dowsett, Peter Sharwood and Rod Hamilton.
George Fryberg (right) seeking divine guidance from Bruce Maughan. 


Peter Rule (left), Brian Cox, Chris Pyke, Trevor Herrod and Wayne Lynch discussing old times prior to the dinner.
Neil Heather (left) with Larry Loveday after the dinner.
Les Tobin with his 11 Bde medal, presented by Brig Peter Jeffrey,  in recognition of his work in the recent Queensland floods.
Tony Smith being presented with his 11 Bde medal by Brig Peter Jeffrey for his work in the Queensland Floods.
Trevor Luttrell (left) with Karina Eggleston, John Pearn (QUR Honorary Colonel) and University Chancellor John Story.
Driver`s Licence presented to John Story by QUR CO LTCOL Tim O`Brien. 

NOTE:-   See below for the reason for the presentation of the licence by the CO.



The Following is an extract from the 2011 Officers Mess Dinner speech given by LTCOL Tim O`Brien, CO QUR


At the risk of slightly embarrassing our host, I cannot let the opportunity pass to recount an amusing story about the Chancellor during his time of service within the Regiment.


This story came to light last year, when the Regt, including the Honorary Colonel, hosted an afternoon tea for the Chancellor and a number of his executive, to congratulate him on his appointment.


During the course of the afternoon tea, the Chancellor recounted stories of his service in the Regt, including one “unhappy” experience which he recalled with a mildly concerning level of clarity.


 He explained that back in the late 60’s, as a private soldier, he held strong aspirations of becoming an army driver. So, to this end, he diligently prepared and undertook the rigorous driver training course – behind the wheel of old WWII era blitz trucks.


Well, he passed all the driving tests with flying colours – only to be told - after the fact - and in true military tradition -  that he would not be issued a licence until he had his sight tested  - by the Regimental Medical Officer (the RMO).


Your probably guessing what happened.


Having done all the hard work and done all passed all the driving tests, PTE Story duly fronted the RMO, who took very little time at all to establish that he was unfortunately colour blind – and would therefore not be issued his drivers liscence – adding that he should have had his sight tested before he did the driver training.


That story in itself was amusing – but what was more amusing was that, as the story unfolded, at that afternoon tea, it became apparent that …. John Pearn was also serving in the Regt at that time… posted in the position of… the RMO.


So, 40 years after the fact, we established that the aspiring military career of our Chancellor was cut short, by the strict application of the rules, by our Honorary Colonel.


They have since settled their differences.






Correspondence from Members

Please note:  QURA receives emails/letters from time to time requesting contact details of members.  The current policy is if a fellow member requests contact with another member, the contact details are given without contacting the relevant member. 

Where contact is requested by a non-member, the contact is referred to the individual member to follow up the contact if they so desire.




From:- Trevor Luttrell


To:- Peter Morton

Subject:-  Re Shane Slipais




Do you know any private details of Shane?


---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Nicole Rose
Date: Wed, May 11, 2011 at 12:21 AM
Subject: Confirmation required
To: president@qura.org


Dear Sir


I am writing to you with deep sadness reading your newsletter from November 2005 where Lieutenant Colonel Nan Bahr spoke of the passing of Shane Slipais.

I am almost certain that this man was my teacher at Seton College in the mid 80's.  He was a life mentor, hugely important to my development as a person.

I was fortunate enough to track him down in Melbourne in 2004 and thank him for the positive influence he had in my life but am quite distressed tonight to see this notice in your old newsletters.

I need to be sure I have the right person.  Is there anyone there who can identify him for me as I just need to know.  I believe he had two children and his wife's name was Cheri.  In 2004 he was still living in Melbourne (near the Werribee poo farms - his words not mine).  He was indeed a larikin.  If your Shane was my Shane then someone there will know.


Thank you so much for your assistance.


Kind Regards

Nicole Rose






From:- Paul Carr


To:- Peter Morton

Subject:-  Re Shane Slipais


Thanks Peter, I've sent her a reply. It is indeed our old mate.


Kind Regards,




Paul Carr


Managing Director









From:- David Freeman


To:- Peter Morton




Dear Peter, I rarely have luck with interstate postings and overseas deployments.  This sat 21 May I will be in Philippines teaching Philippines Army for two weeks.  Pass on my apologises to PMC and CO.  Is it still Tim O'Brien?.



David Freeman


D.H.G. Freeman

Lieutenant Colonel

Senior Instructor

Military Law Centre

Randwick Barracks NSW 2031





From:- Helen Fuller

To:-  Peter Morton

Subject:-  The Green Thing


In the line at the store, the cashier told an older woman that she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment. 

The woman apologized to him and explained, "We didn't have the green thing back in my day."

The clerk responded, "That's our problem today.  Your generation did not care enough to save our environment."

He was right -- our generation didn't have the green thing in its day.

Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over.  So they really were recycled.

But we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks.

But she was right. We didn't have the green thing in our day.

Back then, we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throw-away kind.  We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry the clothes.  Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. But that old lady is right; we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana. 


In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. 


When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used a wadded up old newspaper to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. 


Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power.  We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.

But she's right; we didn't have the green thing back then.


We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. 

We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.

But we didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service. 

We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances.  And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest pizza joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the green thing back then?





From:- Bruce Davis

To:-  Peter Morton

Subject:-  Hitler's Stealth Bomber


Hitler's German Stealth bomber 
Keep  in mind, this aircraft was built in the 1940's.  It resembles  our Stealth bombers of today.
Had  Hitler got these into production sooner, the world might not be  what it is today.

With its smooth and elegant lines, this  could be a prototype for some future successor to the stealth  bomber.
But  this flying wing was actually designed by the Nazis 30 years  before the Americans successfully developed radar-invisible   technology.
Now  an engineering team has reconstructed the Horten Ho 2-29 from  blueprints, with startling results.

Blast from the past: The full-scale  replica of the Ho 2-29 bomber was made with materials available in  the  40s

Futuristic:  The stealth plane design was years ahead of its   time.

It was faster  and more efficient than any other plane of the period and its  stealth powers did work against radar.
Experts  are now convinced that given a little bit  more time, the  mass deployment of this aircraft could have changed the course of  the war.

The  plane could have helped Adolf Hitler win the war. First built and  tested in the air in March 1944,
it  was designed with a greater range and speed than any plane  previously built and was the
first  aircraft to use the stealth technology now deployed by   the  U.S. in its B-2 bombers.

Thankfully  Hitler's engineers only made three prototypes, tested by being  dragged behind a glider,
and  were not able to build them on an industrial scale before the  Allied forces  invaded.
From  Panzer tanks through to the V-2 rocket, it has long been  recognized that Germany 's technological expertise
during  the  war was years ahead of the Allies. But by 1943, Nazi  high command feared that the war was beginning
to  turn against them, and were desperate to develop new weapons to  help turn the tide.
Nazi bombers were  suffering badly when faced with the speed and maneuvrability of  the Spitfire and other Allied fighters.
Hitler was also desperate to develop a bomber  with the range and capacity to reach the United States .
In 1943  Luftwaffe  chief Hermann Goering demanded that designers come  up with a bomber that would meet his  requirements,
one that could carry 1,000kg over  1,000km flying at 1,000km/h.

A full scale  replica of the Ho 229 bomber made with materials available in the  1940s at prefilght 
A wing section of the stealth bomber. The  jet intakes were years ahead of their time.Two pilot brothers in  their thirties, Reimar and Walter Horten, suggested a flying wing  design they had been working on for years.
They were   convinced that with its drag and lack of wind resistance  such  a plane would meet Goering's requirements.

Construction  on  a prototype was begun in Goettingen in Germany in  1944.

The center  pod was made from a welded steel tube, and was designed to  be  powered by a BMW 003 engine.
The most important  innovation was Reimar Horten's idea to coat it in a mix of  charcoal dust and wood glue.

Vengeful: Inventors Reimar and Walter  Horten were inspired to  build the Ho 2-29 by the deaths of  thousands of Luftwaffe  pilots in the Battle of  Britain.

The 142-foot wingspan bomber was submitted for  approval in 1944, and it would have been able to fly from Berlin  to NYC and back without refueling, thanks to the same blended wing  design and six BMW 003A or eight Junker Jumo 004B  turbojets.  He thought the electromagnetic waves of radar would be absorbed,  and in conjunction with the aircraft's sculpted surfaces the craft  would be rendered almost invisible to radar detectors.

This was  the  same method eventually used by the U.S. in its first  stealth aircraft in the early 1980s, the F-117A Nighthawk.

The plane was  covered in radar absorbent paint with a high graphite content,  which has a similar chemical make-up to charcoal.

After the  war  the Americans captured the prototype Horten 2-29s along  with the blueprints and used some of their technological advances  to aid their own designs.

But  experts always doubted claims that the Horten could actually  function as a stealth aircraft.

Now using  the blueprints and the only remaining prototype craft,  Northrop-Grumman (the defense firm behind the B-2) built a full  size replica of a Horten Ho 2-29.


Luckily for Britain the Horten flying  wing fighter-bomber never got much further than the blueprint  stage, above.

Thanks to the use of wood and carbon, jet  engines integrated into the fuselage, and its blended surfaces,  the plane could have been in London eight minutes after the radar  system detected it It took them 2,500 man-hours and $250,000 to  construct, and although their replica cannot fly, it was   radar-tested by placing it on a 50ft articulating pole and   exposing it to electromagnetic waves.

The team  demonstrated that although the aircraft is not completely  invisible to the type of radar used in the war, it would have been  stealthy enough and fast enough to ensure that it could reach  London before Spitfires could be scrambled to intercept it.

If the  Germans had had time to develop these aircraft, they could well  have had an impact, says Peter Murton, aviation expert from the  Imperial War Museum at Duxford, in  Cambridgeshire.

In theory,  the flying wing was a very efficient aircraft design which  minimized drag.
It is one of   the reasons that it could reach very high speeds in dive and glide  and had such an incredibly long range.

The  research was filmed for a forthcoming documentary on the National  Geographic Channel






From:- Neil Weekes

To:-  Bruce Davis

Subject:-  Letter to Senators, PM and Abbott on DFRDB


G'day all,


Well, I have put my money where my mouth is!  Attached is a letter I have sent today, by registered mail, to each of the following: Senators Wong, Xenophon, Brown and Lundy, as well as to the Prime Minister and Tony Abbott.  Please feel free to distribute a copy of my letter far and wide.


As you will appreciate I am most concerned that this Government has failed to honour its pre-election commitment and it has failed to heed the advice of a number of previous external reviews the majority of which indicated that the CPI was inappropriate to index the DFRB/DFRDB superannuants' "pensions".  Because of some serendipity and some inheritance, I am OK so this does not really impact on me, personally.  However I am aware that some of our former Defence members who served 20 years or more are doing it tough.


Now, whether or not you are a DFRB/DFRDB superannuant, you should be concerned about the Senate's latest decision to negate the Fairer Indexation Bill on 16 June.  We have always been a team, we have stood by each other, we have defended our mates, especially those who are in difficult situations.  We need your help now.


Quite frankly, if there is not sufficient interest in winning this battle, if there is not sufficient support for our mates and their families, then I and the others involved in this fight are wasting our time.  We need "People Power" to convince the Government, and the Opposition, that we are united on this.  We need to demonstrate very clearly to them that we are cheesed off and that we will continue to make a noise about this that will continue to increase until they agree that the CPI is inappropriate, and introduce a more appropriate indexation method, or until they are voted out - preferably at the next election, if not sooner!!!.  Soon we will be like the few remaining POWs, getting a "handout" from the Government when we are too old to put it to good use.  The Government will wait until then to act.  Can you wait that long???


Please send this email and the attached letter to at least 20 of your mates and then ask them to send it on to another 20 and ask them to do the same thing.  We must have "People Power" to convince the Politicians that we are fair dinkum.  Write to your local Member of Parliament and to your State Senators.  Do not become enmeshed in "financial arguments".  Concentrate on the "principle and moral obligations" of the Government, especially as the Labor Party has abandoned the spirit of its election commitment to conduct a review that would address the inadequacy and inequity of the Indexation method (CPI) which has not kept up with the cost of living.  Do not be abusive nor use inflammatory language but ensure they know that you are not a happy chappy!!!  Ask your friends and family to write.  Use my letter as a guideline but ensure that you use your words and please DO NOT SIT BACK AND DO NOTHING!!@!


We need your support.  Your mates need your support.


Over to you.




Neil Weekes, AM, MC




22nd June, 2011



Senator Nick Xenophon

Senator Penny Wong

Senator Bob Brown

Senator Kate Lundy

The Hon. Prime Minister Julia Gillard MP

The Hon. Tony Abbott MP


Following the Senate’s rejection of the Fair Indexation Bill on 16th June, 2011, I forwarded a number of emails to your office to express my bitter disappointment on the Senate’s decision as, in my view, it was a shameful betrayal of the men and women who have served our Nation in the Australian Defence Force for 20 years or more.

I was appalled that this decision was primarily based on financial restraints and yet our Politicians, including you, never hesitate to approve an increase to your own salaries, despite the financial state of the Nation!!

It is a complete mockery for members of our Parliament to attend the funerals of our young warriors who have been killed in action, and to observe a minute’s silence in the House of Representatives and in the Senate, and yet you reject a Bill which would have aligned the increases to DFRB and DFRDB superannuants’ pensions with our old age pensioners. This disgraceful decision, obviously based on Party lines, has alienated the Veteran Community and it has ensured that DFRB and DFRDB superannuants will see their measly pension (average annual pension is approximately $23,600) continue to lose its purchasing power. This will be exacerbated by increases to the cost of electricity, increased vehicle registration, increased cost of food, increased cost of petrol, increased insurance cost, increased medical costs and the list goes on and undoubtedly will include new taxes!!

This is compounded for those surviving spouses who only receive 5/8th of the DFRB/DFRDB superannuants’ pension which continues to be indexed against the CPI. It seems inequitable and immoral to me that the surviving spouse of a political pensioner has his/her pension indexed against the increases to the salary of a back bencher. Does this mean that a politician’s spouse makes such a huge contribution to the defence and well-being of our Nation when compared to the spouse of a lowly soldier, airman or navy personnel? Where is the justice in this?

Could you please explain to me why the Government has accepted the recommendation by the Matthews Review that the CPI remains the most appropriate method of indexation for military superannuants? If this is a legitimate argument, then please explain to the Veteran Community why your pensions are not indexed against the CPI when you retire?

The Matthews Review does suggest the use of an Analytical Living Cost Index and the Government introduced the Pensioners and Beneficiaries Cost of Living Index (PBCLI) the day after the Matthews Review was released. Why was the PBCLI not accepted as a fair indexation for military superannuants?

Apparently my emails, to which I referred in my opening paragraph did not reach your office. Consequently I am enclosing copies of both emails for your attention. Please note that they have been distributed to a very wide distribution list and most recipients have in turn redistributed them to their own mailing lists.

You should be aware that this decision has angered the Veteran Community and we will continue to fight for a "fair go", especially as the Labor Party has abandoned the spirit of its election commitment

to conduct a review that would address the inadequacy and inequity of the Indexation method (CPI) which has not kept up with the cost of living.

This is immoral, it lacks the principle of "a fair go" espoused by all politicians and especially by the Labor Party. How do you explain this to a Veteran who has fought for his country, who has been sent into action by his Government, who has seen his mates fall in action, who has readily surrendered his own freedoms so that our nation can meet its International commitments and to ensure our Nation remains free?

I formerly request that you acknowledge receipt of my letter and that you provide me with your answers, not your Party line answers, to the questions I have posed in this missive.


Yours sincerely,

Neil Weekes, AM, MC

Brigadier Retired

Patron of The Townsville Sub-Branch of the RSL

Patron of The Townsville Branch of Vietnam Veterans Association of Australia

Patron of The Townsville Branch of the National Servicemen’s Association of Australia





From:- Rod Hardaker


To:- Peter Morton

Subject:-  Off-Line Till Further Notice


Greetings all,

I'm going into Wesley Hospital on Monday afternoon and having surgery on Tuesday to remove a growth (nature unknown) from my right kidney. The surgeon (Les Thompson) says that if all goes well I can expect to be in hospital for 7 to 10 days. 

However, I won't be able to drive a car for about 6 weeks, and as I access e-mails from the local City Council library, I'll be unable to read or respond to e-mails until early to mid-September. Keep the jokes coming; I should be able to laugh at them without doing damage by the time I read them.







From:- Bruce Davis

To:-  Trevor Luttrell

Subject:-  New US Army Rifle






No  hiding place from new U.S.  Army rifles that use radio-controlled smart bullets  

  Weapon hailed as a game-changer that can  fire up and over barriers and down into trenches
  Soldiers will start using them in  Afghanistan later this  month

The  U.S. army is to begin using  a futuristic rifle that fires radio-controlled 'smart' bullets in Afghanistan for the first time, it  has emerged.

The XM25  rifle uses bullets that be programmed to explode when they have travelled a  set distance, allowing enemies to be targeted no matter where they are  hiding.

The rifle also  has a range of 2,300 feet making it possible to hit target which are well out  of the reach of conventional rifles.

The XM25 is being developed specially for the  U.S. army and will be deployed with  troops from later this month, it was revealed today.

The XM25  Counter Defilade Target Engagement System has a range of roughly 2,300 feet -  and is to be deployed in Afghanistan this  month

The rifle's  gunsight uses a laser rangefinder to determine the exact distance to the  obstruction, after which the soldier can add or subtract up to 3 metres from  that distance to enable the bullets to clear the barrier and explode above or  beside the target.

Soldiers will be able to use them to target snipers  hidden in trenches rather than calling in air  strikes.

The  25-millimetre round contains a chip that receives a radio signal from the  gunsight as to the precise distance to the target.

Lt. Col. Christopher Lehner, project manager for the  system, described the weapon as a ‘game-changer’ that other nations will try  and copy.

He expects the  Army to buy 12,500 of the XM25 rifles this year, enough for every member of  the infantry and special forces.

Lehner told FoxNews: ‘With this weapon system, we  take away cover from [enemy targets] forever.

‘Tactics are going to have to be rewritten. The only  thing we can see [enemies] being able to do is run  away.’

Experts say the rifle  means that enemy troops will no longer be safe if they take cover  

The XM25 appears perfect  weapon for street-to-street fighting that troops in Afghanistan  have to engage in, with enemy fighters hiding behind walls and only breaking  cover to fire occasionally.

The weapon's laser finder would work out how far  away the enemy was and then the U.S. soldier would add one metre  using a button near the trigger. When fired, the explosive round would carry  exactly one metre past the wall and explode with the force of a hand grenade  above the Taliban fighter.

The army's project manager for new weapons, Douglas  Tamilio, said: ''This is the first leap-ahead technology for troops that we've  been able to develop and deploy.'

A patent granted to the bullet's maker, Alliant  Techsystems, reveals that the chip can calculate how far it has  travelled.

Mr Tamilio  said: 'You could shoot a Javelin missile, and it would cost 43,000. These  rounds will end up costing 15.50 apiece. They're relatively  cheap.

Lehner added:  ‘This is a game-changer. The enemy has learned to get cover, for hundreds if  not thousands of years.

‘Well, they can't do that anymore. We're taking that  cover from them and there's only two outcomes: We're going to get you behind  that cover or force you to flee.’

The rifle will initially use high-explosive rounds,  but its makers say that it might later use versions with smaller explosive  charges that aim to stun rather than kill.

One of the revolutionary  bullets which can be pre-programmed to explode to hit troops that are  hiding











From:- Peter Jeffrey

To:-  Peter Morton

Subject:-  Re: Congratulations BRIG Peter Jeffrey



Thanks Pete!

I have been supported by both: an excellent military team and a fantastic family.  Any award should really be shared amongst them!

Kind regards,


On 14/06/2011 4:40 PM, Peter Morton wrote:

Dear Member,

For those members that missed the following notice that was published in the Courier Mail on Monday 13 June 2011.

Honour - Member (AM) in the Military Division

"Brigadier Peter Robin Jeffrey CSC RFD, Qld: For exceptional service as Assistant Commander, Training Command Army, and as Commander of the 11th Brigade."





From:- William Nason

To:-  Trevor Luttrell

Subject:-  Re: Airline Lunches


I put my carry-on in the luggage compartment and sat down in my
assigned seat.

It was  going to be a long flight from Perth.

'I'm glad I have a good book to read -  Perhaps I will get a short sleep,' I thought. 
Just before take-off, a line of diggers came down the aisle and filled all the vacant seats, totally surrounding me.  

I decided to start a conversation.

 'Where are you blokes headed?' I asked the digger seated nearest to me.
'Puckapunyal. We'll be there for two weeks for special training, and then we're being deployed to Afghanistan.  

After flying for about an hour, an announcement was made that
 lunches were available for five dollars.

It would be several hours before we reached Melbourne, and I quickly decided a lunch would help pass the time..

As I reached for my wallet, I overheard a soldier ask his mate if
he planned to buy lunch.  'No, that seems like a lot of money for
just an airline lunch. Probably  wouldn't be worth five bucks.

I'll wait till we get to Pucka.    His mate agreed.

I looked around at the other soldiers. None were buying lunch.

I walked to the back of the plane and handed the flight attendant a
fifty dollar note.

'Take a lunch to all those soldiers.' She grabbed my arms and squeezed tightly.

Her eyes wet with tears, she thanked me.

'My young bloke was a digger in Iraq,  it's almost like you are doing it for him.'

Picking up ten lunchboxes, she headed up the aisle to where the
digs were seated.  

She stopped at my seat and asked, 'Which do you like best - beef or chicken?'

'Chicken,' I replied, wondering why she asked.

She turned and went to the front  of plane, returning a minute
later with a dinner plate from first class.  

This is your thanks. 

After we finished eating, I went again to the back of the plane,
heading for the rest room.  

An old bloke stopped me.   

'I saw what you did. I want to be part of it.  Here, take this.'

He handed me twenty-five dollars..


Soon after I returned to my  seat, I saw the Captain coming
down the aisle, looking at the aisle numbers as he walked, I hoped he wasn't looking  for me, but noticed he was looking at the numbers
only on my side of the plane.

When he got to my row he stopped, smiled, held out his hand, and said,

'I want to shake your hand.'

Quickly unfastening my seat-belt I stood and took the Captain's hand.

With a booming voice he said,  'I was an army pilot a long time back. Once someone bought me lunch.  It was an act of kindness I never forgot.'  

I was embarrassed when applause was heard from all of the passengers. 

Later I walked to the front of the plane so I could stretch my legs.

A kid who looked about 18 was sitting about six rows in front of me reached out his hand, wanting to shake mine. 

He left another twenty-five dollars in my palm.

When we landed I gathered my  belongings and started to depart.
Waiting just inside the aeroplane door was a man who stopped me, put
something in my shirt pocket, turned, and walked away without saying a word.

Another twenty-five dollars!

Upon entering the terminal, I saw the soldiers gathering for their
trip to up to Puckapunyal.  

I walked over to them and handed them seventy-five dollars.

'It will take you some time to reach Pucka. It will be about time for a sandwich.  

God Bless You Blokes.'

Ten young blokes left that flight feeling the love and respect of their fellow Aussies.

As I walked briskly to my car, I whispered a prayer for their  safe return.  These soldiers were giving their all for our country.

I could only give them a couple of meals. 

It seemed so little...

A digger is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank
cheque made payable to 'AUSTRALIA' for an amount of
'up to and including my life.'

That is Honour, and there are way too many foreigners in this country who don't understand it.'  

May you have the strength and courage to pass this along to everyone on your email mates list....








From:- Scott Revell

To:-  Trevor Luttrell

Subject:-  Re: QUR Graduation Evening - Saturday 13th August 2011




QUR is pleased to announce the recent graduation of three of our officer cadets as Lieutenants in the Australian Army. They have been allocated to the following units:


LT. Nicolas Devereux - RASigs - 139 Sig Sqn

LT. Andrew Harbour - RAE - 2 CER

LT. Mark Vele - RAINF - 9 RQR


As tradition QUR holds an evening, in place of a graduation ceremony, where we invite unit commanders, career advisors and staff to celebrate this graduation. The evening also allows the new LTs to start networking as officers with other officers that will/may influence their career. I have enclosed an invite to this evening being held on the night of the 13th August 2011. I apologise for the late notice as the mess has only been able to confirm availability for the night yesterday.


Sir you are being invited as an official guest and will be hosted on the night by Capt Peter Tuton. The ‘Most consistent cadet’ award will be presented to LT Andrew Harbour who performed very well throughout the duration of his training, had extremely high attendance and was always seen to be helping junior cadets both in the field and barracks environments.


I have attached a copy of your invitation for the evening. If you are unable to attend could you please send a representative form your unit so they have a point of contact at their new units. Could you please RSVP by 10 Aug 2011. The dress for the evening is coat and tie and after 5's for ladies.


Thank you for your understanding and look forward to seeing you on the night.


Kind regards


Scott Revell


OIC Activity

Jacka Company




QURA AGM - 9 Sept 2011


The Annual General Meeting for the QUR Association will be held at the United Service Club, Wickham Terrace, Brisbane on the evening of Friday 9 September 2011 at 1900 for 1930 hours.   


If you know of any former members of QUR that have been part of QURA or might like to join, please invite them along to the Dinner/AGM.


The cost for the evening will be $80 - Includes pre-dinner drinks with a 3 course meal with wine and port.


The guest speaker will be our very own Brian Smith who will give us an insight into his time in  the French Foreign Legion. 


RSVP 6 Sep 10

EMAIL reply to the membership Registrar
(Peter Morton ).

Name: ________________________________________________________________

  • I will be attending the Association’s Annual General Meeting Dinner to be held at the United Service Club, Wickham Terrace, Brisbane on the evening of Friday 9 September 2011 at 1900 for 1930 hours.

I understand that from 7 September 2011 should I later find that I cannot attend, I will be liable to pay for the function.

  •  I regret that I am unable to attend.  Please tender my apology.

For members with internet banking, a payment of $80.00 may be made direct to the QURA Bank Account.

Details are BSB 064 129, Account 0090 4500, Account Name QUR Association Inc. 

Please ensure your name is supplied in the payment details.


If you wish to pay by cash or cheque, please pay on the night.






Fill out the Committee Nomination form (Click here) and email to Peter Morton










A lecture delivered by Professor J.C. Mahoney, October 1992 (at the Royal United Service Institute, Victoria Barracks, Brisbane)1


Transcribed  by Neil. Heather 2 from a videotape  recording


After Dunkirk a great deal of Australian military equipment was sent to make good some of the deficiencies in the United Kingdom and the Northern Command (Australia) held only enough rifles to train one battalion at a time.


When the Japanese came into the war a reorganisation unlinked the 9th/49th Battalions. The 49th (the Stanley Regiment) was brought up to strength and sent to New Guinea under command of Lt Col OA Kessels who had been commander of 9th /49th  and it served there for as long a period as any other Australian infantry battalion. The 26th (the Logan and Albert Regiment) was unlinked from the 15th and referred to North Queensland to be joined there by the 31st, the Kennedy Regiment, and the 51st, the Far North Queensland Regiment, to form the new 29th Brigade. The 15th, the Oxley Regiment and the 47th, the Wide Bay Regiment, joined the 42nd  (the Capricornia Regiment) in the 11th Brigade.


Seven Brigade then, in its training camp at Chermside in Brisbane consisted of the 9th  (the Moreton Regiment), 25th (the Darling Downs Regiment) and the 61st (the Queensland Cameron Highlanders: Brisbane) Battalions under the command of Brigadier John Craven, who had been commissioned from the ranks in the 15th Battalion in France during the first World War. He took over the command from Brigadier John Hill.


Gradually, equipment was made good. The Bren gun replaced the Lewis gun. We sent away our horses and our limbered GS wagons and began to have motor transport. But there were very few standard military vehicles available and 7 Brigade  B echelon park on 9th March was a very motley collection of civilian vehicles of various types and strengths bearing trade names but also bearing unit and brigade markings.


1. The speaker, James Mahoney was an active citizen soldier from his student days, commissioned  in the 26th Battalion Logan and Albert Regiment where  he served until 1929 as a platoon commander. In 1929 he was awarded a Rhodes Scholarship and after studying at Oxford University for the  required 3-year tenure returned to Queensland in 1932 to join the 9/15th Battalion Moreton and Oxley Regiments as commander of a platoon which became the Queensland University Detachment.

 James Mahoney served  most of his time during the Second World War in the posting of  Brigade Major 7th Brigade and was Mentioned in Dispatches for his actions  in the Battle of Milne Bay. He was thus uniquely qualified to deliver this historic lecture by way of his personal involvement at Milne Bay and his outstanding ability as a lecturer. Mahoney was appointed  Lecturer in French at the University of Queensland from 1933 and eventually, foundation Professor of French. 

 The names of some  places and people  proved difficult to interpret or verify. Minor editing has been done  also  to assist readability  and occasional explanatory comment is given in parenthesis. The assistance of Maj Bob Doneley, Col AG Loveday and Merchant Navy  Engineer Officer DW Moffat  with names of people and ships is acknowledged. (NH,  23 Sep 2009)

 2.  25th Battalion and Queensland University Regiment, 7th Infantry Brigade, CMF,1950 – 1962


At that time the Bruce Highway north from Brisbane carried a series of white posts on the side of the road which indicated to drivers of 7th Brigade the correct distances for 40 vehicles to the mile and 30 miles in the hour, skills which would have little application at Milne Bay.


Training proceeded with the defence of Brisbane in mind. The Brigade was ordered to produce  plans for the close defence of Brisbane. These were effected  and the Brigade group started to exercise according to those plans.  The 2/14th  light horse (Queensland Mounted Infantry) was our cavalry and we had parts of the 5th and 11th Field Regiments (Royal Australian Artillery) 7 Company Field Engineers (RAEME), 11 Field Ambulance, and supporting arms and services.


The Brigade marched to Caboolture using South Pine, North Pine and Caboolture Rivers to  learn the lessons of approach march, river crossings, night attacks, defence and withdrawal, then it marched across Brisbane to Beenleigh exercising on the Logan and Albert Rivers. Training had now reached a point where we were full scale brigade group exercising with supporting arms and services.


Brigadier Craven handed over command to a highly distinguished and decorated soldier of the First World War, Brigadier Francis North, and the Brigade moved to the North Coast with headquarters at North Arm and detachments disposed around Nambour.


The time had come to join the rest of the 5th Division in North Queensland. This involved an interesting logistical exercise in the loading of 27 troop trains which were loaded at Roma St railway yards close by (to the lecture venue) and at the mobilisation sidings at Gaythorne and at the RAAF siding at Victoria Park close by the Exhibition Ground. The drivers travelled in the cabs of their vehicles. Tracked vehicles also were on flat cars and  open sided wagons. The dismounted troops travelled in a variety of suburban and long distance coaches.


The trains were despatched  at intervals of 2 hours, 11 trains a day and the troops were fed throughout the journey at various points by women’s voluntary organisations. I feel that as those long troop trains moved north they brought an amount of comfort to citizens of coastal towns of the east. By the time the 27th train  had been assembled, rolling stock was becoming short in the South Queensland Division of Queensland Railways and the staff captain of 7th Brigade arrived in North Queensland in great state in the last coach of the last train in the Governor of Queensland’s private coach. Troops detrained at Stuart Junction south of Townsville bivouacked briefly on Antill Plains and then moved to Rollingstone north of Townsville where the Brigade dug and wired a defensive position astride the road and railway along Rollingstone Creek.


The troops had been fitted now with what was considered tropical gear: khaki shirts, shorts and long woollen socks. This proved a uniform both unsuitable and uncomfortable in the spear grass country of North Queensland. Seventh Brigade was hurriedly outfitted with the discarded brown (leather) cavalry leggings of the disbanded Light Horse Regiments. That is why in some of those unusual photographs you see in Milne Bay with infantrymen of the 61st Battalion and others slogging through the mud in shorts boots and cavalry leggings.


At Rollingstone one morning a new commander arrived for the Brigade. He was John Field 43 years of age, newly promoted to Brigadier, in civilian life a mechanical engineer, lecturer at the University of Tasmania, a long serving Militia officer and keen student of the military art. He had been awarded the prize for the best analysis of the defence problems of Australia. In the AIF he had raised and trained the 2/12th Battalion from Queensland and Tasmania, commanded that unit in the United Kingdom and led it in the Middle East. When he, with his driver/batman, arrived at 7th Brigade headquarters early one morning at Rollingstone they carried with them their steel helmets still camouflaged for desert sands of Tobruk.


John Field had not long to take the Brigade in hand because earlier still on another morning early in July a liaison officer came from 5th Division Headquarters without any previous warning order to order 7th Brigade to embark for Fall River in south-east New Guinea. No maps accompanied that order. No military maps of New Guinea were available at that time. We got hold of a school atlas, found the map of New Guinea and looked for Fall River fruitlessly which was not surprising as after all Fall River is the name of a town in Massachusetts USA and was General Macarthur’s code word for Milne Bay.


Let me say just a word at this point on the selection of 7th Brigade for this independent thrust. I think that too much has been said and written about the quality – often described as inferior quality – of the Militia troops who were sent in the early days to Papua New Guinea. They are often described as 18 to 18 years of age, poorly trained and partly equipped. I maintain that that description would not have fitted 7th Brigade in July 1942. The units of the Brigade had been together in training for a long time. They had been strongly exercised, they were well equipped at the level of the time, the men were keen and well disciplined and morale in the Brigade was high. There was a general feeling that if Australia was to be defended it was far better to do it in Papua New Guinea than along the Australian coastline.


The Brigade had other advantages. It had infantry battalions which in 1942 remained on the Australian war establishment and the Australian war equipment table whereas the AIF battalions in the Middle East had adopted the British war establishment and war equipment table. The main difference between the two was that 7th Brigade infantry battalion establishment still maintained its full Machine Gun company of 12 Vickers (medium machine guns) whereas the AIF battalions had only two of these guns in their Headquarters Company. The Headquarters Company of 7th Brigade battalions had 6 platoons – Signals, Transport, Carriers, Mortars, Anti-aircraft and Pioneers. The Brigade machine gun officer,

 Major Ralph Weppner of the 25th Battalion had under his general co-ordination something like 69  Vickers medium machine guns whereas there would have been 12 in an AIF Brigade which would have normally relied on specialty machine gun battalions for machine gun support.


So at short notice and without any previous notice,  7th Brigade began to embark for Fall River which we now knew to be Milne Bay in south-east (Papua) New Guinea. At first light we left Townsville in the Dutch ship Tasman.  A vessel of 4500 tons (5172 tonnes gross, KPM Line) and we zig-zagged across the Coral Sea behind the sloop HMAS Warrego with one Catalina flying boat circling overhead. It was not thought prudent, apparently, to risk more than one ship at a time. This ship carried most of the headquarters of 7th Brigade  Group and advance parties of all of the other units of 7th Brigade troops. We did not have with us the 7 Field Company (RAEME), or the 7th Field Ambulance or any of the 5th or 11th Field Regiments with whom we had been training.


We had, instead, detachments of the  24th Field Company Engineers (RAEM Field Engineers Northern  Command), the 11th Field Ambulance, 4 Battery of 101 Tank Attack Regiment and  a precious resource, a complete AIF  regiment of Field Artillery, the 2/3rd. Unfortunately early in our time at Milne Bay in an inspection of the area a highly placed Australian officer decided that there were no suitable tasks for field artillery at Milne Bay and the advance party of the 2/3rd  Field Regiment was returned to Australia and that Regiment did not join the Brigade. Fortunately, later, when the 18th Brigade came to Milne Bay it brought with it the 9th  battery of the 2/5th Field Regiment, It was in this battery that Sir Roden Cutler VC  had served in the Middle East.


The charts of the Milne Bay area were quite inadequate. Indeed at that time of course too the Pacific Island Pilot,  the bible of  navigation of that area had very little to say about Milne Bay except that the coast line might some four sea miles away from where it was shown on the charts. We had, however, an extraordinary document, a sun print (photocopy) of a sketch of the headwaters of Milne Bay made by a fighter pilot of the (aircraft carrier) USS Lexington who had been aloft when this ship went down in the Battle of the Coral Sea. Having no deck to land on, he splashed down in Milne Bay and while waiting there for a fortnight to be rescued had spent his time profitably in a native canoe sounding the area at Gily Gily at the head of Milne Bay. Captain Illabel(?) of the Tasman was able to navigate his 4500 ton ship right up to the head of Milne Bay, lay her alongside the landing in 30 feet of water and tie up to  palm trees. He broke out a bottle of schnapps and said to us “Here’s to success against the Japs”.


Seven Brigade had arrived first time in Milne Bay on 11th July 1942. We could see as we tied up there at Gily Gily the air raid warning system as it existed at Milne Bay: a soldier with a rifle at the end of a little small ships jetty at Gily Gily who would fire three shots if a Japanese plane appeared. Seven Brigade orders were to proceed with unloading irrespective of air raid warnings.


The ship had taken 72 hours to load in Townsville with civilian labour using cranes and other equipment on the wharf. The embarked troops unloaded the ship by hand over the side with ship’s gear in 16 hours. The handover then took place between the commander of the advance party, Major Margetts of the (US) 2/3rd Light Anti-aircraft (Regiment). He was there with a small detachment of the (Australian) 55th Battalion and Company E of the 46th  US Engineers. They had been there since 25th June and they had begun to construct an airstrip on 28th June.


John Field set up his headquarters at a house there, the plantation owner’s or manager’s  house in the Gily Gily plantation, a large wooden high set white  painted structure  on a small hill rising above the palms. For obvious reasons on the first maps of Milne Bay this was designated “Target House” and Field’s first decision in Milne Bay was to order construction of a more carefully camouflaged headquarters. A set of native palm tree huts was built by native labour under ANGAU supervision, the Australia New Guinea Administration Unit .


We has a number of visitors. General Vasey came on two occasions from General Blamey’s Headquarters and General Morris, the Commander in New Guinea. General Cannon(?) came and we had a visit also from US General Casey, General Macarthur’s chief engineer who said not one but three airstrips were to be constructed:  “We think he is coming down with something big and we want to be able to get on top of him”. So a site was surveyed to the west of No 1 strip for No 2 and No 3 strip was surveyed on the north shore. I shall have more to say about No 3 strip later.


From the outset (Brigadier) Field had insisted on the necessity for secrecy and security. All contacts with the mainland were strictly controlled. Concealment and camouflage were insisted upon. Wireless silence was observed. All signals in and out of Milne Bay were passed through the Coastwatcher’s net which was already in operation and the powerful RAAF station in open country. These precautions were well justified when a little later we were able to read the Japanese operation order for their landing at Milne Bay. The information paragraph read: “At RAT”, which was their codeword for Milne Bay, “40 fighter planes” (which was the total of 75 and 76 Squadrons at that time) “some light and heavy anti-aircraft and machine guns and garrison - strength unknown”.


On the 19th (July) the strip was approaching its completion. It had relied upon work by American Engineers but a lot too by the  infantrymen of 7th Brigade as they arrived. The infantry not only unloaded the ships as they arrived but in some cases had had to act as stokers on the journey north which meant that there were always requests from the skippers of ships to keep those soldiers on board to do the stoking on the way back. A succession of ships came: the Tasman, the Both, the Maetsuycker, the Karsik, the Cremer, the Bonticoe, mainly Dutch ships (KPM Line) under Australian escort.


(Brigadier) Field  had the bedding in of 10,000 men and also reconnaissance and patrols. The early maps were made by compass traverse and pacing by the Intelligence Sections of 7 Brigade and each Battalion. On 19th July as the strip was nearing completion we received a signal from Port Moresby: ”Expect Group Captain in Tiger Moth”. We watched the sky hopefully for a few hours and when no Tiger Moth appeared we were about to send a signal back “Group Captain not arrived send another” when the Tiger Moth arrived and out got the celebrated Bill or “Bull” Garing who was to command the RAAF units at Milne Bay. Another Air Force visitor who we always appreciated seeing was one who will be known to many of you, Wing Commander, later Group Captain, (Alan) Gordon Grant who used to fly from Townsville in an Avro Anson.


On 21st July, No1 strip was finished and received planes, which as I have said had involved a lot of work by 7th Brigade. Matting (perforated metal) to be laid on Milne Bay airstrips had arrived in parcels weighing half a ton. It had to be slung out of the ships, transported to the site, broken up and laid under the supervision of American Engineers. By the 21st July the strip was ready to receive planes and between 21st and the end of the month the two squadrons 75 and 76 with P40 Kittyhawk fighters arrived and installed themselves. There were also some planes of 6 Squadron Hudson bombers and later some Beaufighters and Beauforts.


What were the Japanese doing at this time? On 21st July a large Japanese convoy was first observed sailing from Rabaul in the direction of South East New Guinea. That was just 10 days after the landing of the first troops of 7th  Brigade and our infantry strength on the ground was very light. We watched the air reports of the approach of this large Japanese convoy. Fortunately for the Milne Bay garrison it turned to the south west. It was the expeditionary force for the Buna- Gona-  Kokoda approach to Port Moresby. The Japanese landing had been deferred to the next stage. Seven Brigade was finally assembled at Milne Bay on 12th August. From 7th July to 12th August ships had been arriving one by one or two’s at three day intervals.


On 12th  August 18th  Brigade (AIF) of 2/9th, 2/10th and 2/12th (Battalions) began to arrive and completed its assembly at Milne Bay on 21st August  bringing with it  fortunately 9 Battery of 2/5th Field Regiment of eight 25 pdr guns. General Clowes and his senior staff o80cers flew in on 13th August and the remainder of Headquarters Milne Force on 21st August. On 22nd August General Clowes took command of Milne Force at Milne Bay.


Field had had orders which required him to cooperate with allied forces and our navy and air force. They would not come under his command until attack was imminent, There had been some Japanese interest in Milne Bay by air reconnaissance. Five of us one morning just after the Staff Captains had arrived were sitting on the balcony of the house having tea when a  plane flew just above the palm trees almost at eye height. A staff captain, John Somerville, made the remark: “What a beautiful banked turn”, then as the plane banked a little more and exposed the underside of his wing and we were able to see the red ball of the Japanese Air Force, he said: “It’s a Zero!”. Firing did open from Milne Bay and the plane was shot down. It was not a Zero but a 2-seater  reconnaissance plane and 7th Brigade received the message pad of the observer which showed a good sketch of the head of the Bay with the position of  No1 strip and the compass bearing of its long axis.


 When Clowes then took command on 22nd August the Japanese landing force was 72 hours away. I have spoken of the preparations of the Brigade and operations and let us now turn to the sequence of events.


On the 24th August Coastwatchers reported a force of seven Daihatsu landing craft sailing close inshore eastward from the Buna-Gona area. On the afternoon of the 24th it was not possible for our fighters to attack them because they were engaged with a Japanese raid with seven Zeroes on Milne Bay itself. That evening the barges beached on Goodenough Island for the troops to disembark to stage there overnight,  At 1040hrs the next morning our planes destroyed all of those barges on the beach at Goodenough Island  leaving 300 men of the Sasebo No 5 Special Naval Landing Force marooned on Goodenough Island. They had been intended for Taupota. If you look at the Japanese map later you will see the track 24 miles long, supposed to be a horse track, which the Japanese had intended to take to approach Milne Bay from the north coast.


On that day (24th August) a very large Japanese convoy of cruisers (Light Cruisers Tenryu and Tatsuta) destroyers ( Urakazi , Tanikaze and Hamakaze) and transports, oilers and other ships was perceived leaving Rabaul and heading towards  south east New Guinea. At 1500hrs in the afternoon it was 10 miles south of Normanby Island. The Japanese always seemed to have extremely good weather forecasting or a lot of good luck because over and over again when their ships were coming towards us they disappeared into rain squalls or under low cloud. They were attacked in the afternoon by Hudson bombers with some near misses but no direct hits. The bomber pilots reported that the decks of the transports were crowded with troops in green uniforms.


General Clowes made very little alteration to Brigadier Field’s dispositions for the defence of Milne Bay which were 9th Battalion at the head of the Bay at Gili Gili where there was some wire along the beach, machine gun posts with beach lights for illumination and  9th Battalion also astride the approaches to the south shore along the bay. The 61st was to watch the north shore of the bay and the approaches along that route which was held most likely to be the approach. The 25th Battalion was in reserve. General Clowes held the three battalions (of 18 Brigade ) in reserve for counter attack. He had ordered D Company of the 61st Battalion which was at Ahioma well along the north shore towards East Cape be brought back to the main base. It was impossible to move them by road transport and they would have to march back or be brought back by water. Seventh Brigade was unable to obtain the use of any suitable motor vessels until quite late in the evening when  the  (luggers) Elevala and Bronzewing  would pass Ahioma and could embark some parts of the 61st ‘s D Company.


General Clowes sent the RAAF air sea rescue craft down to the mouth of Milne Bay to observe the Japanese shipping and at 0015 hrs on the 26th  four Japanese ships were observed entering Milne Bay. At 0100 they began landing in a flotilla of large Daihatsu landing craft which would each hold about 50 men with another 10 on the stern. Unfortunately at that point the two unarmed little motor vessels (Elevala and Bronzewing ) crossed the path of the Japanese armed landing craft. They were forced ashore. The 61st Battalion D Company suffered 14  casualties. Some of the men were taken aboard the Japanese warship and interrogated. They refused to give any information and would not reply to the question “Where is the aerodrome?” and in the words of the Japanese report they were sent back on shore to be disposed of.


Earlier on, the advance parties of the Japanese landing force were moving westward along the coastal track. Remember, this was about 12 feet wide crossing a succession of creeks and rivers which might be fordable at low tide in dry weather, never more than about 100 yards from the beach and flanked on the right by sago swamps of  thigh deep water. The forward platoon of B Company of the 61st Battalion under command of Captain, later Major, C.H. Bicks (DSO) fired on the advance party and the Japanese attacked B Company at KB Mission throughout the early morning with tanks and infantry. The commander of the leading Japanese tank at one creek crossing put his head out of the turret to direct his driver and when he was shot that tank withdrew.


At first light 76 Fighter Squadron commanded by (Squadron Leader) Peter Turnbull followed by 75 Squadron commanded by Squadron Leader Leslie Jackson attacked the Japanese at their landing point. They came back with what they saw. Most of the Japanese stores, equipment and ammunition were set on fire but best of all and this was a capital stroke, the whole of the landing barges on the beach and the gear behind them were destroyed. This deprived the Japanese of essential unloading equipment for their follow up troops and better still it prevented them from making any outflanking movement by water as they had done so successfully down the Malay Peninsula.


Later too there were attacks on B Company 61st  at KB Mission early in the morning. That was their tactic all through the Milne Bay operation. They fought at night in which they were well trained. Each man had a white patch on the rear of his helmet. The NCO’s and junior officers had a white armband and senior officers had a white sash for keeping contact at night.


So, early that morning a great stroke was made by 75 and 76 Squadrons to destroy the Japanese landing flotilla. At 1630 that afternoon 61st Battalion mounted a two company attack with artillery and air support and advanced 800 yards eastward but were not able to hold the ground and withdrew to KB Mission and back on to the Gama River. At night another Japanese Force entered the Bay, shelled and landed follow up troops.  The initial troops  had been carried in the Nankai Maru and the Kinai Maru which were each of about 8000 tons. A reinforced Japanese landing party made a wide outflanking move and went in behind our troops on the coastal track and the 61st Battalion reinforced by C Company of the 25th Battalion stood its ground on the Gama River. The previous day they had held the Japanese advance  about 500 yards east of KB Mission.


On that  morning of the 27th August there was an air attack by 8 dive bombers with a number of Zero fighters. They came in very low with their undercarriages down. Indeed, some people thought that the Japanese expected to be able to land on No 1 Strip but more probably they were dive bombers with fixed undercarriages.


Japanese timings for the operation were for the initial landings to be at Rabi, that is, well towards the head of the bay, at 0130hrs on the 26th, to communicate with the crews of the tenders who were bringing in the second wave at 0130 hrs next morning and to be in possession of No 1 strip on 27th August. From the beginning their timings had gone awry. First of all they had landed some miles east of the point they had intended and then they were deprived of their landing craft.


On the 27th General Clowes placed the 2/10th  Battalion of the 18th Brigade under command of Brigadier Field and the 2/10th moved through the 61st, marched to KB Mission arriving after1600 hrs in the afternoon and established a perimeter defence for the night. They had moved lightly equipped with no possibility of transport to carry their heavier weapons. They carried with them sticky bombs to attack tanks in close country. They left their Boyes anti-tank rifles with 7th Brigade Headquarters to be brought up after dark by water transport. Those guns were taken up later by Lt TJ Abenethy of the 25th Battalion, the Liaison Officer at Brigade Headquarters, knowing that he must succeed in making contact with 2/10th Battalion.


Just after 2000hrs at night the Japanese force of between 700 and 800 men with  two tanks moved in to attack with a great deal of noise and shouting at the 2/10th Battalion at KB Mission. Tanks skilfully handled in collaboration with infantry and with strong headlamps moved amongst the 2/10th Battalion troops and at 0207 hrs next morning the 2/10th withdrew from KB Mission, Battalion Headquarters and two companies to the north to the wooded foothills and two companies along the coastal track. The Japanese followed up very quickly with their tanks and their infantry and over-ran the forward antitank gun of our 101 Anti Tank Regiment. The gun layer was shot in his seat on the gun. The gun carriage was bogged and could not be moved. Later the 2/10th men went forward and removed essential parts of the firing mechanism so the gun was rendered inoperable. It was later retrieved and brought back into action.


Seven Brigade troops, with the 25th Battalion having now reinforced the 61st Battalion at No 3 strip held the Japanese advance at 0400 hrs. On the 28th August the Japanese as was their custom withdrew leaving snipers in concealment.


On the 28th August the two fighter squadrons were flown back to Port Moresby. They returned within 24 hrs (with their aircraft refurbished overnight) and remained there for the rest of the action. Never could there have been closer cooperation between air and army. They were only a few hundred yards from Brigade Headquarters. A ring on the telephone had the planes overhead in very quick time and they were an indispensible and very valuable part of the combined operation.


On the 29th August the morning was quiet but in the middle of the morning a slight burst of small arms fire in the Gili Gili area was followed by a call on the Brigade Major’s telephone from a rather startled voice which said the Japs had broken through and Australian troops were falling back. The Brigade Major said “Who are you?” and he said “Rear Div”. This seemed strange because Milne Force was well to the west of Brigade Headquarters and it was unlikely that the Japanese could be breaking through anywhere near there. He was in fact a telephone sentry which Milne Force had  left behind at the waterfront when they moved back to their new headquarters. So the Brigade Major rang the 7th Brigade OP in that area and said “what’s the situation?” and a man said “All quiet sir”. “What is that rifle fire?”. He said two cows strayed into a minefield and some men went forward and shot them so that they would not explode the mines. That explained the Japanese breakthrough and the withdrawal of the Australian troops.


Shortly afterwards there was an enormous explosion much closer to Brigade Headquarters. I should explain at this point that just before the Japanese landing a supply ship had come in, not tactically loaded but with  supplies of ammunition in the deep holds and the upper decks of the holds crammed with canteen stores including a large supply of cartons of bottled beer. This had not been requested but some thoughtful soul on the mainland was good enough to send it forward, but to the embarrassment of Field and Clowes because these canteen supplies had to be unloaded and disposed of before the ammunition and stores could be taken out. General Clowes had ordered that they be held in the disused copra factory at Gili Gili and wired for demolition. It was a prudent thought I suppose that if things did go bad the Japanese would not be celebrating with Australian beer. Somebody, and I can be emphatic that it was not anybody in 7th Brigade who had pressed the plunger! (An Engineer Officer was reputedly responsible). Immediately, there was a call from Milne Force, Colonel Chiltern, afterwards General Sir Frederick Chiltern, of 18 Brigade asking “Mahoney, what was that explosion?”. “Sir”,  I said, “Some unauthorised person has blown up the beer”. “Some men,“ said Chiltern, “are not fit to live”.


Later that day there was another interesting telephone conversation at 7 Brigade Headquarters when the Brigade Major, 18 Brigade, Chips Dennison rang to say that an attack had been planned by 18th Brigade along the Gama Road on the coastal strip but that the Brigadier would not order his 2/12th Battalion to  advance beyond No 3 Strip till he had the personal assurance of Brigadier Field that the Japanese tanks had been destroyed. This may seem an unusual communication across the two Brigades but we must remember John Field was very much the junior commander who not long before had been commanding the 2/12th Battalion in the 18th Brigade commanded by Brigadier Wooten. In any case they were good comrades and good friends.


Field immediately ordered Lt Col Ted Miles of the 25th Battalion to deal with the Japanese tanks and a small party under Lt Aubrey Schindler (later MC) of the 25th went forward to discover and destroy the Japanese tanks of which there were believed to be at least two. They came upon the tanks near the Gama River, bogged one on either side of the road. One had tried to  pass the other and they had both slid into a ditch, unmanned and unguarded, complete except that the injectors had been removed from the engines. Schindler’s party removed the armament of the two tanks and blew off the tracks. They had accomplished their mission.


On the 30th September at 0605 in the morning 61st Battalion sent out patrols and B Company of the 61st again drew back to KB Mission. On that night most forward troops having been withdrawn before nightfall to No 3 Strip the Japanese mounted what I believe was the strongest attack of  their effort to take control of Milne Bay. Whereas three nights before at KB Mission they made a great deal of noise just before moving in to the attack on this occasion there was complete silence. They dragged up with them in their assembly (phase) a small field gun. It was the task of this gun to provide called down defensive  fire and firing went on over No 3 Strip for many hours.


The Japanese made repeated attempts to cross the Strip. None of them did. Always front on, making no attempt to move to the right to try to outflank the position which they could not do by water on the left flank. The combined Mortar Platoons of the 25th and 61st Battalions coordinated by Schindler who had destroyed the tanks and fire direction by also Lt KA Acreman (MC, 101 Tank Attack Regiment) at a range of 250-300 yards with the 3-inch mortars caused great havoc amongst the massed Japanese. It was interesting later to be able to read in their report of that night’s action that they thought that the Australians must have had listening devices in the trees because whenever they moved positions to avoid the mortar fire the fire followed them to the new position. It was not a bad achievement for ” untrained and untried” troops! That, I think, was the turning point of the Milne Bay action. There was still hard fighting to be done to clear the Japanese from the north shore but they had failed in their main attempt to take control of Milne Bay.


On the 31st August the 2/12th Battalion moved through the 61st and by the afternoon had arrived at the Gama River. Behind it were placed A and C Companies of  9th Battalion of 7 Brigade and later B Company of 25th Battalion and C Company of the 61st. They met only slight resistance from snipers in the trees and from snipers lying among the Japanese dead. The Japanese never left any wounded behind and it appeared to our men early from the stray shooting after the action that they were shooting their own wounded.


On most of those nights there were Japanese ships in the Bay shelling. It was impossible for General Clowes to determine what the new ships were doing: whether they were landing more troops, if so whether on the north shore or on the south shore or whether as happened towards the end they were trying to extricate the remnants of a defeated force. The garrison had been strengthened just before the Japanese landing by American units, not only the Field Engineers of the 43rd who joined the 46th but coastal artillery with Bofors and machine guns and also the 709th Airborne Anti-aircraft Artillery. This (last) unit arrived by air and its OC reported to 7 Brigade that they brought with them no organisational equipment which meant that they had no tentage or other cover and no cooking pots. They were attached to units of 7 Brigade where they fitted in very well. Each of the 69 men carried a Thompson submachine gun personal weapon and these they were willing to share with our men. They offered to set our forces up with their .50 calibre machine guns which later proved very useful in spraying the tops of palm trees to dislodge Japanese snipers. They were asked to lend us some NCO instructors with the guns. They said that they had no instructors to train our men but they could let us have the manufacturers manuals and when we got those  guns they came in wooden carrying cases and were covered with armourers grease.


But to return to the real fighting: On the night of 1st September at 1900 hrs General Clowes received an urgent priority signal from GHQ in Brisbane:

“Expect attack Japanese land forces on Milne Aerodromes from north and northwest. Take immediate stations. Macarthur”.


Nobody in Milne Bay was aware that it would be possible for the Japanese to be approaching us from the  north or northwest so General Clowes had to put on hold some movements he had in mind for the 18th Brigade troops and the whole of the two Brigades of the Force. For the night of the 1st/2nd September there were only minor attacks by snipers and small parties of Japanese along the main coast road on troops of 7th Brigade.


On the next day the other two companies of the 2/12th joined the forward elements of their Battalion at KB Mission and after that 2/12th had some hard fighting as it moved eastwards along the coastal strip. Each night the 7th Brigade troops who were associated with the advance of the 18th Brigade, that is to say A and C Companies of  9th Battalion B Company from 25th Battalion and C Company from 61st Battalion were repeatedly attacked by small parties of Japanese, in some cases by large parties and on the night of the 30th /31st August about 300 Japanese made repeated attacks around about Rabi from 3 different directions speaking, what was extraordinary, some very good  English in an attempt to deceive the defending troops. On the night of 2nd /3rd September 2/9th Battalion of 18th Bde was moved up to KB Mission by water craft and on succeeding days with very hard fighting worked its way east clearing along the north coast as the 2/12th Battalion had been doing.


It was on 4th September in his heroic attack on three machine gun posts one after the other, single handed, that Cpl John French of 2/9th Battalion was killed in action and awarded  a posthumous Victoria Cross. The 2/9th continued its way along the coastal road heading to Goroni and then striking a company inland behind the Japanese, coming upon the main company defensive position defending their base at Waga Waga. By the 6th September with desperate fighting they had cleared the last of the Japanese and were able to send a company forward as far as Ahioma down towards East Cape only meeting small parties of Japanese and snipers..


All this time the platoon of 61st Battalion at Taupota on the north coast and the 25th Battalion platoon which joined them  to relieve them met small parties of armed Japanese stragglers making their way back to Buna and Gona. About 40 Japanese were killed in those skirmishes and 6 Australians wounded.


Night after night the Japanese ships were in the Bay. They had complete freedom of movement at sea. Ten nights out of 14 it was impossible to determine what exactly they were doing. On 2nd September HMAS Arunta, a destroyer, came escorting the Tasman  with supplies and ammunition and on the 6th September came back with the hospital ship Manunda  and the MV Anshun bringing in ammunition and supplies and heavy anti-aircraft gun barrels.


Before nightfall the Arunta left the Bay. The Anshun remained at the unloading point and the Manunda was moored out in the Bay. At 2155hrs that night Japanese ships illuminated the Manunda, did not fire on her, switched their searchlights on to the Anshun and sank her where she was. She’d had no luck. She had been damaged by the Japanese in Manila Bay when they arrived there, she had escaped there from  Singapore when the Japanese were approaching Singapore and she had finally been sunk at Milne Bay.  She was used as a sort of temporary wharf for a long time and then two years later was refloated and as the Culcairn traded off the Queensland coast.


You will immediately appreciate the strangeness of the sort of action that Milne Bay was. Supplies and ammunition were coming in through the front line so to speak and wounded were being evacuated by hospital ship past the Japanese forces through the front line. By the 8th September the fighting was to all intents and purposes over. There were still Japanese stragglers to be rounded up.


This year the great battle of Alamein is celebrating its 50th anniversary and Australian ex-servicemen are going over there to take part. The operations at Milne Bay are by no means on the scale of the masses of armour and artillery which took part in the battle of El Alamein. But in the context of its own place and its own time the Milne Bay battle has an importance I think for us. It marked the southernmost point of  the Japanese thrust down into the south-west Pacific. It was the first occasion on which the Japanese land forces had been defeated. It therefore has its own importance in the history of the war as far as Australia is concerned.


[On the night of 3rd September  enemy warships evacuated the remaining invasion force leaving 750 of their dead. The Japanese had underestimated both the strength and the fighting qualities of the defenders.


“Some of us may forget that of all the Allies it was the Australian soldier who first broke the shell of invincibility of the Japanese army” (Field Marshal Sir William Slim,  Defeat into Victory  New English Lib. 1958)]





War Quotes


To destroy that for which a war is undertaken seems an act of madness, and madness of a very violent kind.
Polybius,The Sack of Cartage, 146 BC.

 I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country.
Nathan Hale, prior to being hanged as a spy by the British, 22nd September 1776.

 There is a time to pray and a time to fight. This is a time to fight.
John Peter Gabriel Muhlenberg, sermon at Woodstock, Virginia, 1775

 A fleet of British ships of war are the best negotiators in Europe.
Horatio Nelson, Letter to Lady Hamilton, March 1801.

 How much might have been done with a hundred thousand soldiers such as these.
Napoleon Boneparte, inspecting the guard of Marines aboard  HMS Bellerophon, 15h July 1815.

 Sometimes gunpowder smells good.
Ralph Waldo Emmerson

 To call this thing a beach is stiff. It’s nothing but a bloody cliff.
John Churchill, ‘Y Beach, impromptu lines written soon after the initial landings, Gallipoli April 1915

 For each and all, as for the Royal Navy, the watchword should be, ‘Carry on, and dread nought.’
Winston Churchill, in the House of Commons, 6th December 1939

 I have told you once and I will tell you again – you boys will not be sent into any foreign wars.
Franklin D. Roosevelt, campaign speech, 1940

 It takes the Navy three years to build a ship. It would take three hundred to rebuild a tradition.
Sir Andrew Browne Cunningham, resisting plans for the Royal Navy to abandon soldiers stranded on Crete, May 1941

 What the hell is going on? I thought we were winning the war.
Walter Cronkite, inadvertent broadcast remark, 1st February 1968, about the Tet Offensive

 Now, with the atomic bomb, the number of troops on each side makes practically no difference to… the outcome of a war. The more troops on a side, the more bomb fodder.
Nikita Khrushchev in conversation with Mao on his visit to Beijing 1958.



Things to Think About


It was Fred the Flasher’s most embarrassing experience. A woman charged him before the Small Claims Tribunal.

Money never brings happiness.  People with ten million are no happier than people with nine million.

Computers will never replace human stupidity.

Chairman: “Let’s take a vote. All against raise their hands and say ‘I resign’.”

LIFE, we will never get out of it alive.

When you know the right answers, nobody asks you the right questions.

Success always occurs in private, while failure happens in full public view.

All my life I have been doubtful. Now I’m not so sure.

BUDGET is a form of worrying before you spend instead of after.

I wanted to be a lawyer but they found out my mother and father were married.

To be a leader you need a lot of people dumb enough to follow you.

He who laughs last doesn’t get the joke.

Dignity is one thing that alcohol doesn’t preserve.

If you can distinguish between good advice and bad advice, then you don’t need advice.

ADORN: What comes after the darkest hour.

SONATA: A song sung by Frank.

Sign on a bankrupt retail store: Opened by mistake.

 People who are always looking over their shoulder, will most likely run into something.

People who are late are usually a lot happier than those who have to wait for them.

Plumbers should quit if they find the job too draining.

If nothing sticks to Teflon, how do they make it stick to the pan?

Pride is what we have. Vanity is what others have.

Why do you get in and out of a car, but you get on and off a bus.

Remember that half the people you know are below average.

You can’t have everything . Where would you put it?

Should a doctor quit his patience?






Wit is educated insolence.
Aristotle (384-322 BC)

I prefer rogues to imbeciles because they sometimes take a rest.
Alexandre Dumas the Younger (1824-1894)

Most men are within a finger’s breath of being mad.
Diogenes (c.412-323BC)

For people who like peace and quiet: a phoneless phone.

Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler.
Albert Einstein

There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
W. Somerset Maughan 1874-1965

Come quickly; I am tasting stars!
Dom Perignon 1638-1715, at the discovery of champagne

Logic is a system whereby one may go wrong with confidence.
Charles Kettering

Cynicism is knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Oscar Wilde 1954-1900





Back to the Flood                  Saturday 19 March 2011 -  1800Hrs   
Anzac Day                             
Sunday 25 April 2011 - 0615Hrs
Officers Mess Dinner            
Saturday 21 May 2011  - By Invitation from QUR

AGM                                     Friday 9 September 2011 - ( 1900Hrs for 1930Hrs)
Christmas Function              Thursday 8 December 2011 - 5.30 PM (Victory Hotel)






Please check the Members Page to ensure that your membership is current.

If you pay your membership fees on a year by year basis

payment is now due for 2011


Membership status codes are:

  • SMEMB - Special Member (no fees)

  • LMEMB - Life Member (no fees)

  • PUOM - Paid Up Ordinary member (no fees but can transfer to 10 year membership for $50)

  • NEW - New member (no membership fees received as yet)

  • 2005 - 201? membership fees paid to year indicated

  • 199? - 2000 membership fees due for 2011


Annual dues are $10 and a 10 year paid-up membership can be had for $70.  

Cheques should be forwarded to:

The Treasurer

QUR Association

24 Walcott Street,

St Lucia 4067

For those members with internet banking, payments may be made direct to the QURA Bank Account.

Details are BSB 064 129, Account 0090 4500, Account Name QUR Association Inc

Please ensure your name is supplied in the payment details.




The Executive Committee encourages all members to provide a current email address to allow quick and easy communication of important notifications and reminders of upcoming events. 

If you know of any ex-members of QUR who are not in the association, please contact the Membership Registrar (Peter Morton) with any contact details that you have.


For members wishing to provide a new email address, please send an email to Sectretary  to ensure your address is received and entered onto our contact list.




Have you considered purchasing a copy of the History of QUR magnificently complied and edited by Paul Smith?

It contains 128 pages of stories, photographs and has a coloured badged cover.

          COST :            $15 per copy.

What about a CD containing over 100 images of the history of the Regiment.

COST :            $10 per copy.

Why not treat yourself to a copy or buy copies for your friends.  These are collectors items so don't miss out.

How to purchase copies:

Ring                        Trevor Luttrell      0437 442 964

Email                    Historian

Send your payment to:

The Treasurer, QUR Association, 24 Walcott Street, St Lucia Q 4067.

For those members with internet banking, payments may be made direct to the QURA Bank Account.

Details are BSB 064 129, Account 0090 4500, Account Name QUR Association Inc

Please ensure your name is supplied in the payment details.



Association Office Bearers


Position Name Bus Hrs A/Hrs Email
President Trevor Luttrell 0437 442 964 3345 2754 President
Vice President Paul Smith 3221 1275 0417 629 885  
Secretary/Treasurer Bruce Davis 3622 1777 3878 2920 Treasurer
Membership Secretary Peter Morton 3114 2010 0419 484 736 Secretary
Committee Members       Executive
  Greg Adams 3264 5544 0418 744 678  
  Col Ahern 3896 9510 3278 1862  
  Chris Backstrom 3863 9238 3359 6262  
  Garry Collins   3359 5993  
  Ruth Kassulke 3119 9789 3314 6818  
  David Ross 3227 6974 0402 904 204  
  John Hammond   0409 575 848  


End of Newsletter